THE SYMPATEX MEMBRANE
compact hydrophilic system with a long-term effect
Although it sounds complicated, it is actually very straightforward. When the body sweats, it does so to protect itself from overheating. Although this natural process is vital, it also creates the risk that the body will be cooled excessively; for example, if the moisture in the clothing removes the heat from the body. The consequences of this would be reduced performance and a high risk of catching a cold. The solution is called Sympatex.
Excellent comfort whatever the weather: waterproof, breathable, windproof
There is nothing more unpleasant than wet and cold clothing. Sympatex has therefore developed a special membrane which absorbs the water vapour and removes it through the clothing to the outside. This keeps the body warm and dry even in extreme situations. And the best thing about it is that the higher the physical activity, the more efficient the Sympatex membrane works. Functional textiles with a Sympatex membrane also provide effective protection from low temperatures and rain.
The Sympatex laminate
The Sympatex membrane (5 – 25 µm) is connected to a wide range of possible base materials such as woven fabrics, knitwear, fleece, foam or leather to form a laminate for a specific application. The application of tapes tailored to the specific usage of the laminates is what makes the end product (for example a jacket of shoe) into performance functional textiles. Uniform high quality is assured by the interplay between the laminate, tape and technical processing guidelines. This is the only combination that sets a licensed Sympatex product apart from the rest.
BASIC MEMBRANE PROPERTIES
- Compact hydrophilic membrane
- Completely safe copolymer (oxygen, carbon, hydrogen) made of polyester and polyether
- 5 μm to 40 μm membrane thickness
- 100% waterproof
- Optimally breathable
- 100% windproof
- CO2-, oxygen- and water vapour permeable
- Can be stretched by up to 300%
- Elastic properties
- Easy care, poreless membrane, insensitive to dirt and detergent residues, no adverse effect on the membrane function
- Durably waterproof, regardless of whether it is washed, dry cleaned, subjected to permanent kinking, or soiled by fuel or oil
- Excellent protection from viruses, bacteria and bodily fluids
- Resistance to various chemicals
- Suitable as a medical product due to its biocompatibility
- Thermal protection
- Protection from condensation
- 100% recyclable like a PET bottle
- 100% reusability of the polyester obtained during the recycling process
- Perfectly healthy product with Oeko-Tex®* Standard 100 certification, appendix 6, product class 1
- Compliance with extremely stringent regulations in the production process with bluesign® certification**
- Completely PTFE-free and PFC-free
- Climate-neutral production
* Sympatex ist Gründungsmitglied des Prüf- und Zertifizierungssystems Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 und wird somit den vielfältigen Qualitäts- anforderungen an gesundheitlich unbedenkliche, schadstofffreie Textilprodukte gerecht.
** Sympatex erfüllt als bluesign® Systempartner die weltweit strengsten Richtlinien bezüglich seiner Herstellungsverfahren im Hinblick auf Umweltschutz, Gesundheit und Produktionssicherheit.
100% Wasserdicht, Optimal Atmungsaktiv und 100% Winddicht
More Info about Waterproofness and watercolumn
When outdoors, we are exposed to the prevailing weather conditions. Functional textiles which feature the 100% waterproof Sympatex membrane provide excellent performance and make for more outdoor enjoyment. The waterproofness of the membrane is measured on the basis of the water column under the pressure of which the material starts to allow water through it. According to EN 343, a membrane is waterproof if it can resist a pressure of 1,300 mm. Pursuant to ISO 811, the Sympatex membrane far exceeds these values and is extremely waterproof with a water column of over 45,000 mm.
More about breathability and dynamic climate regulation
Breathable clothing which removes perspiration in the form of water vapour from the skin supports a pleasant body climate and prevents overheating.
In contrast to other membrane technologies, the poreless compact Sympatex membrane is based on a physical and chemical principle. The water-attracting (hydrophilic) part of the membrane absorbs the moisture from the body and emits it to the outside by evaporation. The water vapour molecules are transported outwards along the hydrophilic molecular chains. The molecular structure (hydrophilic components) of the Sympatex membrane swells in moisture and therefore provides space for water vapour transport and fast evaporation. This effect increases as the difference in temperature and moisture rises. A partial pressure gradient, which results from different temperature and humidity inside and outside, is the driving force for the water vapour transport through the membrane.
Dynamic climate control
More about windproofness and wind chill effect
The Sympatex membrane is 100% windproof, pursuant to DIN EN ISO 9237. This functional property is important to avoid the wind chill effect, the subjective feeling of feeling cold in the wind.
Wind chill effect
The wind removes the warming layer of air from around the body. The perceived temperature is lower than the actual temperature. No wind chill effect with Sympatex membrane: 0 litres of air per second pass through 1 m² of Sympatex membrane. This means that according to DIN EN ISO 9237, the Sympatex membrane is absolutely windproof and prevents any drop in performance.